What type of cylinder do you have?

Before buying a new cylinder lock, use this guide from Yale to ensure you invest in the correct equipment to keep your home secure.

Euro profile cylinder

If you have a uPVC or composite door, then you will have a Euro profile cylinder that works with your multi-point lock.

To improve your home’s security you can upgrade the Euro profile cylinder in your multi-point lock to any of Yale's British Standard Kitemarked Euro profile cylinders, which as minimum meet the TS007 1 star standard.

Yale recommends a TS007 3 star solution for maximum protection. This can be achieved through purchasing an AS Platinum cylinder which has been awarded this standard on its security merit alone, or through combining a 2 star Yale security handle with either the KM or the AS Series cylinder.

Changing the cylinder is an easy DIY job and will ensure the cylinder in your uPVC or composite door complies with the latest British Standard.

Rim cylinder

Rim cylinders are locks that work with a nightlatch on external timber doors. A good way of improving your door security is to fit a rim cylinder that meets the British Standard (look for the Kitemark on lock packs and the lock itself).

You can replace your rim cylinder by simply unscrewing the nightlatch, removing the existing cylinder and replacing with the British Standard version. All rim cylinders are a standard size, so you should be able to replace your existing cylinder easily.

Size matters

Before you buy your new cylinder you’ll need to know what size you require. This is easy for a rim cylinder as they are all a standard size. If you have a multipoint lock you will need to measure the euro profile cylinder in two halves from either side of the cylinder’s 10mm centre section. Whenever you fit a cylinder, it should be flush with the door furniture, especially on the door’s exterior.

By upgrading your cylinder you can be assured that your new home has the very latest security protection for added peace of mind.